Wednesday, January 21, 2009

OBAMA '09: This is what a feminist looks like. This is what a feminist sounds like.

In light of the Obama Inauguration, and Sonia's recent Smash The Glass post, I'm going to take a step back from feminist ideology in the creative world and move over into the realm of politics.

According to Elanor Smeal's article, "Is Obama What a Feminist Looks Like?" featured in the Huffington Post,

When the chair of the Feminist Majority Foundation board, Peg Yorkin, and I met Barack Obama, he immediately offered "I am a feminist." And better yet, he ran on the strongest platform for women's rights of any major party in American history. Feminist Karen Kornbluh, the platform's principle author, ensured women's rights, opportunities, advancement, and issues were addressed throughout the historic document.

It's not everyday that a man is featured on the cover of a feminist magazine, and as you can guess, this has struck up a lot of controversy. As you can see in the image above, Obama is in a Superman stance, with a shirt that reads, "This is what a feminist looks like." Many feminists believe that this image is problematic because it's suggesting that women are looking toward a male superhero in order to "save feminism," when women are capable of taking care of themselves.

Here is a CNN video showing how Ms. Magazine has been criticized, and also a defense from the editor.


In my opinion? These "feminists" need stop thinking that feminism is an exclusivity club, and realize that feminism is about PEOPLE who believe in women's rights. The Americans haven't broken the presidential "glass ceiling" quite yet, but I do not see this cover as anti-feminist in the least. I don't believe this cover is in any way showing that feminism needs to be rescued by a man, and it would be completely irrelevant if they showed a photo of Clinton or Palin (as the video suggests) on the cover of the "Inauguration Special." Also, NOT ALL WOMEN ARE FEMINISTS! *Cough* PALIN *cough*
I think the American feminists should be excited and happy that they are being represented by someone who exercises their rights and freedoms, regardless of gender or sex.

Going back to my first introductory post.
FEMINISM = EQUALITY
The fact that feminism is being represented by a MAN in this photo reinforces the progression of feminism. Isn't progression what we want? Don't we want our rights to be viewed as equal by all?

Apparently some people have forgotten.

It's important to remember that feminism is no longer a group of organizations or leaders. It's the expectations that parents have for their daughters, and their sons, too. It's the way we talk about and treat one another. It's who makes the money and who makes the compromises and who makes the dinner. It's a state of mind. It's the way we live now. - Anna Quindlen

4 comments:

  1. It really depends on what stream of feminism you live by. From your posts, you are clearly a liberal feminist. The problem with feminism is that there is a lack of collectivity amongst eachother. I understand the point radical feminists are making, it took a long time for women to gain a voice of their own. Let's keep in mind, no one can understand what a woman needs, than a woman. Feminism means equality for women and/or minorities, if it only meant equality in general well than a word like feminism wouldn't need to exist. To say "The fact that feminism is being represented by a MAN in this photo reinforces the progression of feminism. Isn't that what we want? Don't we want our rights to be viewed as equal by all?", is something I don't really agree with, to say feminism being represented by a Man is not a progression at all but just feeding the accusations that feminism was bound to fail because soon MEN would take control of it.
    That being said I completely agree with the cover, yes men can be feminist but I feel the reason Obama was an easy candidate for the cover is because Obama is a minority and this election being a complete historical moment and a huge progression in American society. In my opinion, it was important for Ms. to recognize the triumph of a minority to represent America. Perhaps this is a sign that the time for women is coming near.

    But your opinions are just as valid as mine. I think feminists spend so much time fighting eachother that we forget the ultimate goal.
    loveee youuu

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I completely understand where you are coming from and what the "radical feminists" are thinking. But that is just my opinion on the situation because I think the ultimate goal is equality!

    "something I don't really agree with, to say feminism being represented by a Man is not a progression at all but just feeding the accusations that feminism was bound to fail because soon MEN would take control of it."

    I understand that too, but what I was arguing was against the fact that I disagree that a female should be on the cover over Obama, and that those radical feminists should accept that fact.

    But you already know that :)
    Thanks for posting this on Smash! I didn't even think to post about this until I saw what you wrote!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the conversation between liberal and radical feminists is extremely healthy! I'm sure many women borrow from multiple feminisms, I sure do. With the Obama situation I feel that since a he (a man) is already in office it is better for him to be a feminist than not! Anyone can be a feminist. I understand and agree with the radical feminist view that a man shouldn't REPRESENT feminism but I don't think that is what Barack is doing, he just supports it and considers it in his political view that is full of broad and inclusive perspectives.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree and couldn't say it any better myself, Nicole!
    I also believe that a man should not represent feminism but Obama IS the president. He's representing the country, and holds a feminist view, which is what I think Ms. Magazine was trying to portray to it's viewers!

    ReplyDelete